A character's home instance will change based on their progress and actions in their personal story. For example, character actions could determine the presence or absence of non-player characters, special merchants or even buildings.
Players can invite others to visit their home instance. If a character visits a home instance in a city other than their home city (for example, a charr visiting Salma District), they will see a basic version of the district without any story-related changes. However, most upgrades are available to all characters in the account and visitors to the instance.
|Race||Home instance||Description||Nearest waypoint|
|Asura||Applied Development Lab||A laboratory in Rata Sum.||Magicat Court Waypoint —|
|Charr||Hero's Canton||The barracks in the Black Citadel.||Hero's Waypoint —|
|Human||Salma District||Residential district in the north part of Divinity's Reach.||Salma Waypoint —|
|Norn||Hunter's Hearth||Upper levels of The Great Lodge of Hoelbrak.||Great Lodge Waypoint —|
|Sylvari||Dreamer's Terrace||A garden nestled in the roots of the Grove.||Ronan's Waypoint —|
List of home instance upgrades
Upgrades can be added to home instances for all characters on the account. When entering as a group, the instance owner's upgrades will appear and can be used by other party members. Harvesting nodes and chests can only be gathered once per day per account.
Gem Store upgrades
These upgrades can be added by purchasing the relevant upgrade from the Gem Store.
|Upgrade item||Type||Gathering results||Cost|
|Basic Ore Node Pack||Node (mining)||Copper, Silver, Gold Ores + gemstones||800|
|Basic Lumber Node Pack||Node (logging)||Green, Soft, Seasoned Wood Logs + extras||800|
|Basic Harvesting Node Pack||Node (harvesting)||Various plants||800|
|Basic Cloth Rack||Chest||Jute, Wool, Cotton Scraps||800|
|Basic Leather Rack||Chest||Rawhide, Thin, Coarse Leather Sections||800|
|Black Lion Hunters Contract ||Mail delivery||Black Lion Delivery Box ||1 200|
|Season 3 Expedition Contract ||Mail delivery||Black Lion Delivery Box (Season 3) ||1 000|
|Season 4 Expedition Contract ||Mail delivery||Black Lion Delivery Box (Season 4) ||1 000|
|Black Lion Garden Plot Deed||Node (harvesting)||Plants chosen from the Gardeners' inventory||1 000|
Black Lion Chest upgrades
These upgrades can be added by earning the relevant consumable from achievements.
|Upgrade item||Type||Gathering results||Required achievement|
|Aurillium Node||Node (mining)||Lumps of Aurillium + gemstones||No Mask Left Behind|
|Enchanted Treasure Chest ||Chest||Various||Treasure Hunter|
|Gift of Candy Corn ||Node (mining)||Candy Corn||You, Back in the Box|
|Gift of Magnanimity||Chest||Wintersday Gifts||For the Children!|
|Gift of Quartz ||Node (mining)||Quartz Crystals + Charged Quartz Crystals||Bazaar Ambassador|
|Gift of Sprockets ||Node (mining)||Watchwork Sprockets + Blade Shards||The Origins of Madness Completionist.|
|Krait Obelisk Shard ||Place of power||—||Tower of Nightmares (meta)|
|Personal Bandit Chest||Chest (locked)||Various||Point of No Return Episode Completion|
- ^ When visiting another player's home instance, this node can only be used if it's also unlocked on your account.
- ^ a b c d These nodes require historical achievements but can also be purchased from vendors.
These upgrades can be added by purchasing the relevant consumable from various vendors.
- Primary article: Hungry cat scavenger hunt
- Primary article: Unlockable home instance characters
- Ambient creatures, various friendly NPCs that on interaction will do little more than provide a greeting.
- Belcher's Bluff NPCs offer unique skills to players.
- Personality, a hidden mechanic, combining dignity, charm (charisma) and ferocity; may be boosted by certain home instance NPCs.
- Personal story NPCs, presence depends on the character completing a particular chapter in a their personal story. Every chapter adds at least 1 NPC to the story instance. For example:
- Various Services are available in some, but not all home instances.
- M.O.X. will join your home instance after completing Heart of the Volcano (for the character that completed the chapter).
- Various cats will join your instance after feeding hungry cats found around Tyria. (The asura home instance comes with one cat, but is not part of the hungry cats.)
- After purchasing a Black Lion Garden Plot Deed, a Gardener will take care of it. In addition, you can find a Launchpad to Garden for easy access to the garden in Salma District, as well as in Dreamer's Terrace, and a Raven Statue in Hunter's Hearth.
- Side Stories NPCs
- Certain personal story instances take place in the home instance instead of a separate instance.
- The Home Portal Stone allows players to instantly travel to the home instance and return to their original location.
- Gathering done in the home instance is applied to the regional gathering daily achievement, e.g. gathering in Salma District counts towards Daily Kryta Miner/Forager/Lumberer, so daily gather can be readily achieved by mapping to the appropriate home instance.
- The following home instance items are not available through the API: Supply Cache (Kourna), Mistonium Node (Jahai Bluffs), Black Lion Expedition Contract, & Black Lion Garden Plot Deed, Feline Dispersing Emitter, Feline Water Pistol, Feline Holoscepter